Equipment required to meet IEC 60601-1 include any application that will be operated within the vicinity of a medical patient.
- IEC 60601-1 is the International standard for electronic devices in medical / healthcare applications
- Each country may adopt their own deviation of the IEC 60601 standard (such as UL 60601)
- Most countries have harmonized their standards to match IEC 60601
- The 3rd edition of IEC 60601-1 was published in 2005 and became effective December 2010
- The 2nd edition remained in effect through June 1st, 2012 in Europe and Canada; June 1st 2013 in the United States